Calm Air offers a compassionate travel discount or rebate when travel is required due to a death in the family or when a family member is in a life-threatening situation. For specific fare information and assistance, please contact our Reservations Department at 1-800-839-2256.
In the case of a death in the family, you will need:
- The name and relationship of the deceased and
- a copy of the death certificate and/or
- the name, address and phone number of the doctor filing the death certificate or
- the name, address and phone number of the memorial/funeral home for the deceased family member.
In the case of a family member in a life-threatening situation, you will need:
- the name and relationship of the patient
- a statement on official letterhead by the attending physician stating that the situation is life threatening (must include the name, address, and phone number of the physician or hospital).
If you are unable to provide the required information prior to departure, you may request a refund of the discounted amount once your travel is completed. Simply submit your travel documents (boarding passes and receipt) and the above required information to Calm Air upon your return.
Who is Eligible?
- Spouse (legal, common-law or same sex)
- Child (including adopted and step), grandchild or great grandchild
- Parent (including step, in-law and common-law in-law), grandparent or great grandparent
- Sibling or sibling-in-law (includes common-law in-law)
- Aunt/uncle and those of spouse/common-law
- Legal guardian and spouse
Definition of Life-Threatening Situations (Imminent Death)
- Patient is in intensive care
- Heart attack patient
- Final stages of cancer – travel is permitted more than once
- Serious accidents
- Hospitalization includes admission to a hospice or other facility when recommended by a doctor and preceded by a hospital stay due to imminent death
The compassionate travel discount or rebate does not apply to illness which is not life-threatening or for the purpose of settling an estate.
Rules of Compassionate Travel
- Applies from point of origin to closest airport served by Calm Air.
- Valid system-wide on Calm Air’s selection of routes.
- Valid on round trips only. While open returns are not eligible, changes to return flights are permitted at no extra charge.
- Not valid with any other discount or promotion.
- Please note, while our bereavement discount is lower than our regular last-minute fare, we sometimes may be offering a seat sale that offers a lower fare than the bereavement discount. Please check our website or ask one of our agents, but keep in mind that most seat sales will be subject to change and upgrade fees in the event that your reservation needs to be changed.
- Bereavement discount valid on Calm Air flights only. The bereavement discount does not apply to Code Share flights (flight series 1300 and higher).
Bereavement discounts are only available by calling our Reservations Department at 1-800-839-2256 or by talking to a Calm Air customer service agent at your local airport.